Monday, July 17, 2017

Seven Days And I'm Freaking Out

So the big party, The Most Important Date In My Alumni Club's Calendar, is next Sunday, and things are not going as well as it should.

Well, one thing that's great is that there are so many people coming.  According to our Eventbrite page, more than 30 people have committed.  If they all show up, there's a chance that this might be our most-attended event ever.  The interest is great, but that means more food, more drinks, more decorations, more planning -- and more expectations from people who think they're going to have a good time.

And that's where the worst part of this comes in.  I can't get in touch with the host.  She was incredibly enthusiastic, volunteering to host this party at last year's party.  But things have been kind of dicey since.  A month ago I sent her a link to our Eventbrite page and for some reason, she was flummoxed by it.  I don't think anyone in her right mind would be taken aback by it; I think anyone would be curious at what the invitation looks like, and she could have checked it over to make sure I didn't make a huge mistake, such as putting down the wrong address or date.

As is my want -- and because it's common sense -- I want to drop by before the day of the party to make sure everything's in order, I know where all things are, if there are any questions the host has, etc.  I e-mailed her Wednesday; no reply.  Things may very well be taken care of at this point.  She might be out of town or dealing with a family issue.  But for God's sake, if someone sends you an e-mail preparing for a big event, wouldn't you at least have the manners, the decency, to reply -- and well before four days?

One weird miscommunication I can understand, although you're on my radar.  A second breach of common courtesy?  Well shit, that's a pattern.  But I don't know what to do now.  It's a week before the big day, and I don't think I can just find someone else to host this party.

This is going to be a damn disaster, I just know it.

WHERE IN THE HELL IS SHE?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment