Friday, April 20, 2018

Tales From The Gas Station, Part I: Taco Bell

So there are two gas stations closest to my house.  I used to patronize one because my gas coupons got me double the discount on Tuesdays.  But once that gas station ended that promotion and when the dealership from which I got my Honda gave me a five-cent-off card which I could use with my gas coupon every time I fill up, I went to this other one.  I believe it was the one whose development, a long time ago, residents tried to stop because they were afraid it would cause pollution, noise and traffic problems.  I don't think those have occurred, but then again, I don't live that close to the gas station.  I get the convenience without all the headaches.

There is a Taco Bell connected to this gas station I frequent.  I frequent this Taco Bell a lot, sometimes when I go somewhere after eating dinner.  It's crap, but it's nearby, relatively cheap and tasty crap.  Sometimes the customer service is great; sometimes it's meh.

But a weird thing had happened on consecutive visits.  Taco Bell is currently pushing a pair of new items, a Triple Melt Burrito and Triple Melt Nachos, both for $1.  The first time I saw these two things I bought the Triple Melt Burrito.  Next time I came in I asked for the Triple Melt Nachos ... but when I got my tray, they gave me the Triple Melt Burrito instead.  And that happened on my next visit as well.

This second time I had a passing thought of saying, "Hey, I ordered the Triple Melt Nachos, not the Triple Melt Burrito."  But I didn't.  At that moment, to me, wanting exactly what I asked for was not worth throwing away perfectly good food.  Besides, it was just a buck.  But the second time it happened irritated me, if only because it was the same person taking my order both times.  I don't believe she was the one making my order, and I checked the receipts to make sure she entered nachos and not the burrito (she did), but I find it bizarre that my order was made wrong not once but twice.  Again, this is retail customer service.  But these guys are overall OK by me.  And doing it wrong twice in a row?

I swore to raise my objection if I got the Triple Melt Burrito instead of the Triple Melt Nachos a third straight time; at this point I was obsessed with what the Triple Melt Nachos looked like.  So I came in a third time, ordered the nachos ... and I got the Triple Melt Nachos!  But it was really small and no great shakes, so the buildup wasn't really worth it.  But hey, at least I finally tasted them, and they got my order right ... although the person taking my order this third time was different from the one who took my first two.

No comments:

Post a Comment