Saturday, April 28, 2018

The Fuck Did I Leave Work Early For?

So I need to get this off my chest.  I had training for this new responsibility I have at work.  (Don't know why I'm being trained if this is the last month at this job, but no matter.)  Because the trainer and my co-trainee take only half-hour breaks, I decided that, for this one day, I would cut my lunch hour in half.  That would mean that I was out of there at 4:30.  That it was Friday, and that it was really nice out, made this a real good idea in my mind.

But then traffic came.  There was a huge back-up from Cedar North onto Crosstown West.  This was a lot more manageable during our prolonged winter, but I guess the sunshine means more people want to be out on the roads at the same time or something.  Because of the huge back-up, I decided to take my alternate route home: Cedar all the way to 55, where I would take that West, then hop onto the 94 West exit.

Big mistake.  There was a massive, half-hour back-up on the on-ramp from 55 West to 94 West.  The increased bumper-to-bumper traffic, probably due to the nice weather, was a contributing factor.  But I totally forgot that construction just began in that area around downtown and it's fucking everything up.

It took me 70 minutes to get home.  That happened occasionally in past years, but not within the past, oh, two years.  I really thought that since I would leave work at 4:30, I would get home at the decent time of 5:30, and since it hadn't taken an hour to get home in a long time, I thought I had a chance to come home at 5:15.  But first I was foiled by needing to stay late because I ran into an issue with something I trained for, so I left at 4:45, not 4:30.  Then all this shit happened, so I got home just before 6.

The worst thing about all of this is the flip-flopping I did to Mother.  In the morning, because I thought I didn't think I could eat the banana Father gave me for lunch, I told her I'd be back at 6 or 6:30 so I could eat that banana just before coming home.  Then, not only did I agree to a half-hour lunch break, I actually was able to eat a banana at work, so I texted Mother to say I'd be home an hour earlier.  But at the back-up on the on-ramp it was obvious I wouldn't make it, so I texted her on the highway to say 5:45 instead.  And when I still didn't get past this goddamn on-ramp I just told her that I thought there was an accident and that I'd be home by 6, which was just about the time I originally said I'd be home.  I thought I needed more time to get home, then it turned out I thought I needed less, and then it turns out I needed more time after all.  All because of stupid traffic.

I always said that the worst thing about working at the health insurance place was the commute.  If this keeps up, I won't miss working there a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment