Tuesday, May 22, 2018

If You Think I'm Obsessing Over Not Paying For A Duplicate Driver's License, It's Because I Am Obsessed

I just spent a good hour looking through my desktop (my literal desktop, not the computer that sits on my desk) and in my nightstand drawer to look for the receipt that should confirm that the mistake made on the name of my license is their fault, not mine.  No dice.  I looked through areas and piles of receipts, bunches of papers, and plastic cups in which I store a bunch of my stuff, all of which were dated recently enough to make me think I could have thrown that receipt in with them.  But, no dice.

Late Sunday afternoon I went to my storage bin to look for this receipt too.  It was a tortuous task, and I stopped when I came upon what I think is the only bag of stuff I threw into the storage unit that I filled up around the time I think I last saw that receipt.  It wasn't in there, so I don't think it could be in any of the other bags in the unit, so I stopped.  But did I store a second bag?

I had to make a good-faith effort to find it, because I have no belief that I'm going to get a fair shake this (Tuesday) morning from the DMV.  The asshole at the counter will either say they cannot look up my receipt or, worse than that, they refuse to call around to see if there is a central office where a scan of my receipt might be stored.  I have my birth certificate to take with me, but I am willing to take a couple days off from the start of my workday to exonerate myself and get this new license for free.  'Cause this is ridiculous.

You know what will happen.  I'll pay full price for this license, come home tonight, then stumble across my receipt.  I'm afraid that'll happen too.

No comments:

Post a Comment