Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Can I Call It, Or Can I Fucking Call It?!?!?!

Yep, just like I thought!  Yesterday my boss came back from vacation, we had our daily meeting, and after that meeting, I open up my e-mail and she says that I'm done as of the 1st.  Man, I tell ya, I should start gambling money with the way I can predict the future.  Of course, I won't have any money to gamble because I'm back on the fucking street, but still!

Look, I'm not upset.  Well, I'm not too upset.  I was swamped with stuff to do yesterday, and I think that'll be the same case today at work, and probably through the end of the week.  I don't feel as though I'm running out of work.  But my boss knows, so she's probably right.  Or, she doesn't have either the budget or the mandate to keep me past the 1st.

Regardless of the reason, it fucking blows.  Beyond the commute, I really felt safe, productive, and respected at this company.  I totally could see myself working there full-time, and for years.  But, well, reality set in, and now I'm mentally racing off in a million different directions trying to snag the next place that'll give me a paycheck.

In the meantime I immediately battened down the financial hatches.  There is a slew of stripper parties coming up, but damned if I can afford to go to any of them.  I'm doing my best to avoid the cafeteria for the next fortnight.  And I have to worry about how to occupy my free time while saving money.  The only bright spot for me is that I'll save trips going down to the south metro.  Not only will I be saving gas, I will need to suffer only two weeks of the 35W-to-94W ramp that will be closing starting this weekend.  The traffic might make this change OK.

But it still is a change.  I've been going to this job for the past four months, and the health insurance company since October.  It'll be a horrible wake-up call not to need to go there.  And I highly doubt that the guy who hired me for the past three open enrollment seasons will ever need to call me back in again.  Once I walk out that door on the 1st, I might never go back in again.  (By the way, I just checked the status of the job that I applied for.  They haven't closed it nor made a decision.  But if I haven't heard anything back by now, and it's been more than three weeks, I don't think they are even considering me, right?)

So, where do I go now?  Fuck if I know.  Tomorrow I'll be calling the test scoring places to beg for projects.  It's a good thing I didn't desubscribe to those dozens of want ads that come into my inbox every day, because I knew the day would come where I would have to apply like goddamn crazy.  I do have some vacations lined up, but how can I take a fuckin' vacation if I don't have the money to spend during it, or if I don't have a job whose wages will pay for it afterward?

This temp shit is getting old.  Why don't I just fucking start over with going back to school?  Maybe then I'll find something that won't force me to look for work every six goddamn months.

No comments:

Post a Comment