Sunday, August 23, 2020

Yesterday Was ... Eventful

So, yesterday I talked about going to Centro for lunch before going to work yesterday?  Yeah, funny story. ...

The way I went to Centro on Friday was across these train tracks that are very rough and potholey.  There were certainly other ways to get there, but I thought just being a little more careful and slower through the tracks would help with the otherwise rough, scary ride across them on Friday.

Unfortunately, while I was crossing them (and there are two of them, one going each way) I heard the bell.  (In retrospect, while there for about 75 Minutes Friday the train went by several times.)  I panicked.  And so I gunned it across the tracks, hoping nothing would happen to my car.  The ride through was (deep breath) damaging to my car.  And something really bad happened to it.  I parallel parked, then jumped out to make sure my tires weren't flat.  I heard a loud hiss, though.  And after trying to see the bottoms of the two passenger-side tires that were in inches of water because of the storm that passed through the area overnight, I saw the bottom of my driver's-side front tire virtually flat.  Well, guess I wasn't going to eat at Centro after all.

Thankfully this happened two hours before I had to go to work.  So I had time to change the tire and go to The Mechanic Around The Corner ... but they couldn't change it because, even though they say the service department is open on Saturdays, the cashier said everyone else was sent home.  Great.

I went back from where I came to Bobby & Steve's.  They couldn't get me in before I had to go to work because there were people waiting in front of me.  Instead of gambling on getting it done before going in to work, I calmed myself down, told myself I put in the spare tire correctly, and I can get to work using side roads and, if need be, making sure I'm driving (well) over 50 miles per hour.  So, I went to work.  Hell, I had enough time (I left Bobby & Steve's a bit past 1) to eat at McDonald's and rest my eyes for 10 Minutes in my car after I parked at work.

Went in at 2, got done around 6.  Thank goodness people have better things to do than on a Saturday than get their car fixed, because this time around I immediately got serviced ... except that they could not patch the tire.  I had to get a new one.  (I swear I saw a nail puncture and hole in a tread on my tire.  The mechanic who gave me back my car said that the break came on the side, right next to the rim.)  And on top of that, they didn't have a tire my size.  Got my car back, no charge.

This guy said Discount Tire would have one.  Discount Tire is closed at 6:30 on Saturdays.  Still wanted this done today, so the guy called up the Bobby & Steve's in downtown where, thank Buddha, they did have one (and only one) tire my size.  Drove down there.  From the time I entered the store to the time I left with my brand-new tire: Half an hour.  And I checked -- the new tire is the same exact brand and model as my other three.

My initial plan after work was to go visit my game-watching party bar, which was also downtown.  Ate outside, chatted it up with the co-owner.  Wanted to get home by 9 to catch the beginning of the back end of the Liga MX doubleheader, but I was getting home a little after that, and besides, "Rusty Cage" was on The Current, so I had to stay in my car and listen to that.

Could have been worse.  Didn't want to spend $150 on the tire, but given that the first Bobby & Steve's place said I could go to Discount Tire -- where it would probably be cheaper -- I don't think they were ripping me off.  (Plus, they didn't charge me to diagnose the source of the break on my tire.)  I did get my tire fixed the day it broke.  Got to work on-time, and went to eat at my (ex-)alumni club's place.  Best of all, it took me only half an hour to change my tire.  I may have peeked in my trunk to see the spare once, maybe twice, and I had no idea how to assemble the jack.  But I followed the owner's manual and, with dirty pants and disposable gloves (given to me just the day before by the stripper girlfriend who cut my hair), I got the spare on all by myself.  Yes, I felt like a man.  Still do, actually.  And moreover, honestly, it feels good that I was able to figure something out and not be in need of someone, whether it be a tow truck or anyone who just walked or drove by who could say, "Hey, you need help with that?"  (By the way, even though the area I was in was semi-busy, no one stopped to ask if they could help.  Huh.)

As for Centro ... got a ticket the first time I went there, got a flat the second time I went there.  Maybe this is a sign I should, like, stay away from the place.  Might go there in a couple weeks.  And I will take a different route besides across the fucking train tracks.  Actually, when I was driving close to Centro, I knew the general direction it was as I was crossing cross streets, and I remember thinking, "Hmmm ... wouldn't one of these streets get me to Centro so I wouldn't have to cross those goddamn train tracks?"  Should've listened to myself when I told myself that.  Would've been closer, too.

Everything's right with the world now, albeit a bit lighter in the checking account.  The only mortal fear I have is that driving so hard and fast on extremely bumpy train tracks fucked up my suspension and alignment.  My car seems to be driving OK on my way home from yesterday's adventure, and I hope it stays that way so I can forget how anxious and paranoid I am about that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment