Sunday, August 16, 2020

Zooms Petered Out?

So I had two Zoom meetings I had joined, off and on, since the pandemic and lockdown started for this ... uh, social group I have sporadically been a part of.  Even though the meetings (each of them are for a different age group, but [and I don't know why I did this] I just started going on both) are virtual, I mentioned that my times participating in the group have skyrocketed since these Zooms, which is obvious; I found it hard to make time, dress up, go and socialize in person, but I can just boot up my computer and start talking to other people.  I'm not a huge fan of Zoom meetings (maybe that'll make for a good topic to blog post about), but I had grown to like hopping on.

Well, for a while.  And then ... well, I'm not saying I didn't want to talk to people.  But it was always kind of a chore for me to talk to people I don't really know, and for the one-to-two hours these meetings had become.  I'm just not that much of a talker.  Then my sleep schedule changed whereby I would take (and still take) these heavy naps that last between one and two hours right in the middle of the evening.  Hey, if it's not safe to mess around outside, what's there to do at home besides sleep?  Oftentimes that meant I would wake up at the tail end of these meetings.  That was a blessing in disguise: I didn't feel the heavy lift of trying to sustain enthusiasm for a couple hours and instead I could just pop in and show them the bright, cherry side of myself for upwards of an hour, well before my fatigue takes over my body.

However, sometimes I would wake up, know that the meeting was going on, and decide I just wanted to do something else.  Again, it's not them -- it's me.  It soon became a 50/50 proposition on whether or not I would get on these calls at all.  When I did, I subconsciously made a point of getting on well after the call normally would have ended; more often than not, I would see I was the only person there, and I would think to myself, "Darn!  Missed it!"

(Here I should add that this thing with my college has taken up my time the past several Sundays.  That Zoom has been scheduled around the same time as the Zoom for my social club.  I did make a point to pop into the social club for a couple minutes to tell them hi, that I'm thinking about them, and that I regret not being able to stay long, which I both do and don't.  Like I alluded to, being on such a call for only a minute or two is actually something I like.)

So, maybe there is a very good explanation, such as the host of the social Zooms is on vacation.  But I noticed on Facebook on Friday (the invitations are posted on Facebook) that the host had not notified us of meetings for this week.  I am afraid that participation, which had started out strong, had petered out to the point where no one cared any longer.  And if that is true, I contributed to that eventual disinterest, and I am very, very sorry for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment