Sunday, January 10, 2021

Getting Tested; "Frothy Spit"

I try to get tested as much as possible.  I used to go to a clinic where I could quickly get some nurse's assistant to shove a swab up my nose, but either due to other people or a change in policy, I now go to a clinic on Eat Street, where I have had to wait, at most, I think, an hour.

Meanwhile there are these public walk-in testing places where you spit into a vial.  I was trying to find a place where I could make an appointment, but frankly, now that I've gone several times, I don't think they check if you've made an appointment.  I think you can just walk in and do it.

And spitting into a vial was uncomfortably hard the first time I did it.  I was told I had "frothy spit," and that didn't count.  So I was there, literally, 45 minutes, trying to generate spit to get to this freakin' line on the vial.

It's been easier since.  Much easier.  It probably was because I ate just before I tested the first time.  Now it takes me mere minutes.

But it dawned on me the first time I was in this place, and I still think of this whenever I go in there.  As I was indoors for a long time with a sort-of crowd (although everyone was wearing masks), some of the people getting tested had to be there thinking they were positive because they were positive.  Wouldn't it be ironic, so goddamn ironic, that I was afraid of testing positive for COVID-19 and because I was stuck there for so long, I got COVID-19?  That's the ironic risk whenever I go to a clinic, I guess, but still, it sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment