Monday, January 4, 2021

When Free Food Is A Bad Thing

I endeavored, after work yesterday/Sunday, to get home in time to see the tail end of the early NFL Games, some of which (especially Giants-Dallas) had playoff implications.  But first, because I used my credit card for a raspberry white mocha (and a free pastry since it was my "birthday" -- I just didn't update my profile information) at Dunn Bros., I was going to use my credit card a second time at Taco Bell, sit in the parking lot, open up the app and use the wi-fi to watch the Games (but not the ends of them!!) before going home, which is not too far away.  All I wanted was a couple items to go down with the Pepsi Vanilla I bought.  I'd scarf them down, feel as though that I have rightfully asserted my independence from Mother and her cooking (well, for this dinner Father pitched in a lot), then come feeling like I'm not some kept son.

The problem came when I got my Taco Bell.  The guy murmured something.  One huge downside about these masks, at least for me, is that I can't understand what people are saying sometimes.  That is a problem when people aren't wearing masks, too, to be honest, but I think it helps me to at least see a person's lips moving to understand what that person is saying, even though I cannot read lips.  It may be a thing or I could be full of crap.  Anyway, the Taco Bell guy said something and I just nodded as if I understood him.

However, I think he said something about my food order.  And sure enough, it wasn't what I ordered.  I saw three items, in fact, not two.  In addition to one of the items I had ordered, he threw in two hardshell tacos even though I didn't order even one.  I don't have time to eat three things at the gas station parking lot -- I needed to go home to watch football!  But I couldn't waste food, especially when it was free.  So, goddammit, I just sat in my car and ate free Taco Bell.  Oh, and when I was about to throw away the bag, I felt heat at the bottom of the bag.  There was a fourth item in it ... and, embarrassed to say, that was the other item I had ordered.  I just forgot that I ordered it.  So, (sigh), I had to sit and eat that too, all while the noon football Games were finishing.  Maybe it didn't matter: The wi-fi cut out and so I couldn't see the end of those Games anyway.

So I couldn't go home when I wanted to because I had to sit at a parking lot to eat free Taco Bell.  It would've been nice to catch those endings at home.  And on top of that, of course, is that I ate a whole fast food dinner -- in my car -- just before eating actual dinner.  God, I'm fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment