Monday, September 13, 2021

I Had Missed My Work Computer

I have a desk of my own at work.  It's unusual, for people in all the departments I work in don't have their own.  They're constantly moving because the tasks that many of us do require us to go to other stations in order to do them.  I have to shift around as well; my job makes me flit from one spot to another.  But yet I have my own computer, thank Buddha.  I need something "of my own" (it's not like it's mine and that I can take it home or anything) at work, otherwise I would feel like a true, disrespected cog.

However, there was a time a couple months ago where I would not be using my computer for long, long stretches.  It might be a part of the nature of my job, it could be that we are short-staffed, and it could be that other people wanted to take days off and I filled in for them.  But there were gaps, big gaps during the summer in which I was everywhere except my, uh, "home."

I realized this when I sat down at my computer.  When I know that I will be away from it for a while, instead of logging of like we're supposed to, I shut it off.  I turned it on and thought, "Yeah, it's been a while since I've turned this on.  When was the last time I sat here?"  And I took a couple minutes to look at my calendar so I could jog my memory.  I took a note of that, and then the next day I was working at another desk, only coming back to my space after, I guess, a few weeks.

So even though this may be wrong, after taking another swing at where I was for work over the past three months, I want to type out that there were some days early in the summer I was away from my desk, only to finally get back to my desk on June 23.  I was away again, only to return on June 29.  I then was gone for a while once more, but came back to work at my desk July 14 and 15, and then I was working somewhere but then coming back ... the days in which I worked somewhere else became shorter and shorter, so I was back at my desk more and more, and now I am back to working at my desk a lot.

There you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment