Thursday, September 23, 2021

The Safe Space That Is My Baseline Job

I now work in four departments at my main job.  There are various stresses to three of them, especially the last one, which I started on last week and will be back onto next week.  I'm not a smoker, but by God if next week is anything like last week, I'm going to start.

But this week, besides Filing on Monday (which is its own bear for its own reasons), I have been at Data Entry, my first job, my default job, the job I do if I am not placed anywhere else, the task I was hired to do and the thing I know how to do the most.  Nothing much is asked of me.  All I do is key, key, key.  I can put my headphones on and listen to the radio and no one will ask how dare I.  And, at least for now, the two people with whom I have problems have not been getting on my nerves.  Let's hope that stays that way through tomorrow.

It is this week where I've come to realize how lucky I am to have this particular position.  The chaos of last and next week makes this week a welcome oasis, a time where I can clear my mind and a place where I can recharge for the crap I'll face Monday and Tuesday.  Besides coming in early for overtime yesterday and today (and tomorrow), just being able to type on my desk without being bothered ... well, it kind of feels like I'm not working at all.  I will cherish this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment