Sunday, September 5, 2021

Shouldn't Moving Your Body Make You Feel Better?

I'm a hurtin' man right now.  Physically, although always mentally.

I think it started with working the Gophers Game.  I was alright when I started on Monday, and even Tuesday and Wednesday I was good, even though both were long days.  But then came the long day, and night, of Thursday, when we were striking and picking up everything and doing it all in the rain.  That, I think, is when my body started to ache.  Damn, you don't want to do anything out in the rain, I tell ya.

Then on Friday, which I took off (even though I told my parents I was working half a day to clean up the compound -- don't tell them that), I took in a quick trip to the gym to exercise.  And this time around I decided I was going to use the weight machine.  I remembered seeing, either on TV or a workout babe I befriended on Facebook, doing this exercise of squatting, pulling up on a handle, then slowly moving back down.  That seemed like a good exercise for my ... uh, legs or calves or ass or core.  Anyway, I thought it'd be a good idea to put in some strength training, and so I did twelve ... you call 'em "reps," I think?

Well, after I got done with the twelfth and final one, I staggered around a bit.  My legs hurt.  Now, I have seen that after these workout hotties put in a "session" on "Leg Day," they crow proudly that they hurt.  I don't get that; why would you be proud of being a hurting unit?  Moreover, my knees hurt.  And my hips hurt, too.  I don't think that's a good thing.

And they continued to hurt yesterday, when a sedate morning turned into a rollicking afternoon where I had to go downtown, pop in one restaurant to tell my alumni friends to go to another restaurant, walk to that restaurant, hope they had the TV on (they did), then feel guilty about all the food I ate, drove somewhere else, walked about 1 1/4, ate ice cream (I totally undermine myself), walk back to my car, go to Target to buy creamer, juice and conditioner, drive to work, leave the creamer at work (it was for work), poop at work, then finally drive home.

They say walks are good.  My parents have lately taken one in the morning and one after dinner.  I have seen more and more articles recently extoling the benefits of walking.  I should walk more.  But I realized a bit a little more than I chewed when walking the final few blocks down to Sonny's/Crema Cafe.  My legs and knees and hips were on fire, and I was asking myself, "How far is this place again?"  And I tried to cut down the walk back to my car below the 28 minutes Google Maps thought it'd take.  I may have gotten there in 26 or 27, but besides all the sightseeing I did that extended my time, the lower half of my body wouldn't allow me to walk faster than I did.

I just tried stretching, and I still hurt.  I think I actually slept for 11 hours (even though I woke up quickly to turn off the satellite radio to which I fell asleep listening to the BYU-Arizona Game), but none of that apparently "healed" me.  And I want to walk to both the Gopher soccer Match this afternoon and the State Fair tonight.  I'll need all that walking to burn all the calories for all the eating I'll be doing.  But shoot, will my body let me?

No comments:

Post a Comment