Saturday, October 27, 2012

Eleven-Hundred Friggin' Dollars?!?!?!

I would swear instead of use the word "friggin'," but I'm at a library and there are kids around.

So no, putting in the fuel injector wasn't the end of it.  According to The Mechanic Around The Corner, the lack of response upon accelerating was still there.  After testing it, the spark is arcing back to the ... where it came from.  So they say they need to replace the distributor cap, rotor, and ignition wires.  That's another $270 -- by itself a pittance, but along with the fuel injector and the power window (which they already replaced), the total bill is over a grand for the second straight time I have brought the car in for them to fix.

There is one big problem: The distributor cap and rotor were replaced in December.  Now it is an old car, and I've ridden it hard the past 10 months (I think I'm over 15,000 since then).  But you mean to tell me I need those parts replaced after less than a year???

This will be the fourth distributor cap and rotor in my car.  The original parts lasted until 2006, so the second one lasted five years.  And now this is 10 months?  Either the guys who did really screwed me ... or these guys are trying to screw me.

With the charges coming on this car, the grand I dropped for sealing up the engine a month ago, and all the other ancillary charges I put on my credit card, with the money I have made on my temp job as well as the paychecks for working the Vikings games, I might -- might -- be able to cover it.  I really don't think I'll come out ahead in money after my assignment is over.  In other words, I have worked full-time for the past month-plus just to repair my car.  What I'm doing is fucking insane.  Why I am doing this?

This is where it pays to know how to be a mechanic.  I still need this car, so I can bitch all I want about how I don't the car needs it, but I'll just say yes and they'll charge me up the wazoo, again.  I still need to call them, just in case they "made a mistake."

I can't fucking believe it.  $1100?  Really?!

No comments:

Post a Comment