Friday, October 5, 2012

Voicemail Gone Forever

Just went through my 41 voicemails for two reasons: 1) I have a work opportunity and I needed to write down the phone number of the person I need to answer to; and 2) I don't want to run into that situation (I don't know if others have to go through this) of needing to re-save voicemails that are really old, and I wanted to do them now that I have some free time instead of needing to get to the new voicemails waiting for me.

The first and most ancient voicemail was from my friend, whom I met while we were ushers and with who I now go to sporting events with.  That was one July 3.  The next one was from the next day -- Mother, on the day I regretted forgetting her wish to call home before I drove home.

That brought back bad memories for me, so I decided to delete it.  But then I thought that this is the second-oldest voicemail I have right now.  Plus, many of the voicemails I have are Father yelling into his cell to call him back, so those I will delete as soon as I hear his voice.  Compared to that, I should keep it so I could hear her dulcet tones.  No worries, I thought; I'll just swing through all my voicemail till I get to the beginning and un-delete it.

No dice.  Once I got back to the beginning, the voicemail was gone.  Maybe they don't have an un-delete feature, or maybe I was going through my messages for a long time (I spent more than 20 minutes going through them two-plus times).  Whatever the case, I regret that now, Mother's message for me is cast to the digital winds, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment