Monday, October 29, 2012

Car Guilt

For the two weeks my parents have been gone, I have used their minivan every single day.  I used it because my car wasn't working, but I didn't bring it in because I needed to wait until my credit card got to the next billing cycle.

Things were advantageous for me like that; I should get it back tomorrow.  But that means that their work van hasn't had a day's rest until today (Sunday), when I just refused to do anything because I really thought the vehicle needed to take a break.

My folks have taken vacations three (four?) times since The Store ... um, you know ... and every time I have used their van extensively while I've taken my car in for repairs.  It's the perfect situation for me; because I have two cars I can do whatever I need to do without missing a beat.  But I feel guilty because I should be leaving their car alone and doing things on my own.  This time out is the worst because I have bogarted their van for two whole weeks.

It was the only car that's been working, but now I'm starting to doubt even that.  Last week I broke hard coming to a red light I didn't see, and for several days afterward whenever I broke even moderately hard I heard this rhythmic knocking whenever the axels oriented themselves to a particular spot.  That's been gone for about the past two or three days, and besides, I'm not driving around in luxury in this thing.  But I want to think that I can drive it so that I don't make it any worse, general wear and tear because I'm adding mileage on it excepted.  If this brake knocking thing is my fault, I just might be cursed.

I want to give the van a rest whenever my folks are out of town, but that depends on whether I can trust my own car, and right now I can't.  The only good news is that I had the courage to call up The Mechanic Around The Corner and tell them that my records show that the distributor cap and rotor were replaced in December.  Will they call me back Monday morning and insist they be changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment