Thursday, October 18, 2012

I Am Typhoid Unforgivable Wetness

My supervisor at my temp job went home sick very early today, maybe 90 minutes after I and the other temps started work.

A little later, the guy I started this assignment with said that a lot of people have been out sick.

For about the past week, maybe several days before that, I have had this really bad cough and cold.  They always say that if you feel even the slightest bit sick, don't show up for work.  Easy to say unless you're 1) a temp and not a salaried worker and 2) in dire need of money and won't be able to make up a day's worth of wages if you stay home.  Besides, I don't think I'm so sick that I would be ridden in bed all day.  If I stayed home, I would be doing stuff anyway.  So why not work and earn money?

Except that now I'm paranoid that I'm the one who made everyone, including my supe, ill.  This is the time of year where everybody comes down with something, so maybe it's not me.  In fact, it probably isn't me -- yeah, I'll say it.  Problem is, even though I work in a room at the end of this entire office (it winds its way around a center bank of elevators that is the focus of this five-story building; I guess you could say we're one vertex of a triangular floor), my loud and incessant coughing probably could be heard by everyone, especially I was walking around.  So even if I'm not the one who gave everybody, for lack of a better term, the flu, they remember me being noisy and just assume that I'm the one who gave everybody the flu.  And I'm sorry, but I can't completely dismiss the idea that my supervisor will blame me for giving him what he got.  Which means that any faint hope of me somehow getting an extension on my assignment beyond my current task, or being called back for the same task next winter, is probably long gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment