Monday, February 23, 2015

I've Just Ruined My New Long Underwear

Went out of my way to buy new long underwear, one each of tops and bottoms I think I need to buy every winter.  Since the Duluth Trading Company came into town I wanted to patronize what seems to be a new, fresh, potentially hip store deciding to move into our (red)neck of the woods.  They seemed to have nice long underwear, and I got a deal of free shipping for both top and bottom for the holidays.

I'm a fanatic when it comes to washing clothes, usually.  I don't know how many people separate their whites from their darks, and then which ones have to be washed in warm water and which in cold, and from those which ones need to be dried in medium heat and which in low.  I do.  In fact, when my parents are away, I will spread out all my dirty clothes on the dining room floor in piles according to what wash-dry combination its label says it needs.

The two new Duluth Trading Company long wear pieces are warm water/low heat.  They also have explicit instructions stamped on the fabric saying that fabric softener should not be used.  I love fabric softener.  Someone in college helped me see the light on it.  Never used it when I was a kid, but once a dormmate gave me a serving and I pulled it out of the dryer and felt how smooth it was, I became a believer.  I, and my family, has used it ever since.  However, I'm not supposed to use it on the Duluth Trading Company long underwear.  Don't explicitly know why, but on this FAQ on a brand of what I guess is period-fighting women's underwear, fabric softener interferes with the moisture-wicking technology that keeps a person wearing these kinds of garments both warm and dry.

Well, I fucked up.  First, a couple or a few weeks ago I was doing a wash with my Duluth bottom and I inadvertently put in fabric softener, because it's routine of me to.  I realized I made a mistake as soon as I poured it into the dispenser.  And I did it just last (Monday) night with my Duluth top.  I was searching for a way to scoop up the fabric softener and put it back in the bottle, but I couldn't find any.  So I now have to live with me ruining perfectly new and good long underwear.

---

I have to say that I will be wearing ruined long underwear after it gets washed, but once again the washer is on the fritz.  Have to baby it so it goes through the end of the cycle.  Need to go downstairs now to see if it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment