Saturday, February 21, 2015

My Car Is Hiding Its Problem From Them

Today will mark my third and (what has to be) my final day of this weird ritual in the wake of my car stalling really bad on Tuesday.  Every morning, around the time I would go to work, I would instead take my car to The Mechanic Around The Corner.  I would then give them the keys to my car, which would sit in their lot to see if they can drive it around after a few hours of it standing in the cold and coax it into this problem.  In the meantime I would get the keys to one of their two loaner cars so I can go about my business of acting like I'm going to work.

On Thursday I drove it down to the Mall of America and back, touching on my appointment with my psychiatrist and the dental RV.  It was there that I realized that, hey, I have a car that I feel is a lot more reliable than the car I usually drive.  So on Friday I decided to take advantage of it and, after driving it to the community center to work out (part of my plans) I took it back down to the Megamall because I knew it was going to not die on me on the way there or back.  I'm going to do it again today, and like the previous two days I'll call around 3:30 to see if they found anything, and if not, I arrive to exchange keys and drive the mile home with my old car.  And my parents this whole time will think I was just doing my own thing with my own car.  Goddammit, that's the way it should be.

Unfortunately the mechanics say that bad stall has not happened again on their watch.  That's pissing me off, especially since when I picked up my car yesterday afternoon, it felt it was jumping on me when I stepped on the gas.  It's like my car is waiting for it to stall only when I'm in it, like it's intentionally hiding the problem from them just so it can get to me.  The mechanics probably think I'm crazy.  Fuck, I think I'm paranoid.  But this is the closest I can do to just handing them my car for a few days and let them drive it around like it's theirs.  It had to have acted up, right?

At this point it's ridiculous to continue with bringing it in.  Who knows, maybe it is good.  But I have to take my car to St. Paul because a friend has invited me to the Wild game against The Team That Was Stolen From Us.  And I picked up a two-week assignment in St. Paul starting Monday.  I need a car.  Guess it's going to be mine.  Now see it die on my way to St. Paul -- right in the middle of fucking traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment