Wednesday, February 11, 2015

OK, Now I Am Really Scared Of My Car

As I was coming home from work Tuesday, my car stalled.  From a green light, I accelerated just a little, and then it wouldn't speed up.  I hammered the gas pedal down, but it wouldn't speed up.  At all.  And just like when it happened on my way to work Monday, that inability to accelerate lasted, like, five to ten seconds.

What made it worse was that this was afternoon rush hour traffic -- and in the middle of a snow storm, too.  A car merged right behind me.  I assume -- shit, everybody around me assumed -- I was going to speed up, but I didn't, so he barely had enough room to get behind me and then slow down when he realized he was going too fast.  And that's what really scares me; I could have been in an accident.  If this continues, I will cause an accident.

(By the way, when the accelerator finally kicked in, the car still didn't feel right.  I could hear the hum of the engine, except that it wasn't humming.  It felt like it was hesitating, and then it started to go faster, and then it hesitated again.  That herky-jerky motion lasted for another five to ten seconds before it finally smoothed out and I could accelerate.)

I have to call the shop tomorrow.  Well, first I have to hope and pray that my car doesn't stall out; then I'll call the shop while at work.  Unfortunately, when I got the car back from the last time it was in the shop, I had told them about the problem and they weren't able to reproduce it.  The mechanic said it should be alright so long as the Check Engine light doesn't come on, and it's not on as of right now, but I don't think it's safe now.  And the shittiest part of all of this is that it looks like it's happening more frequently (and for frighteningly longer periods of time), but I still don't know if I can reproduce this.  And if they can't hear and see the problem, how are they going to know if it's the fuel pump or the mass air flow sensor or the electrical wiring system or the fuel filter?  Even though, at this point, that goddamn 5-10 seconds not being able to speed up at all in the middle of rush hour was so terrifying I'm about to just tell them to fucking fix everything.

My car is just gonna die right in the middle of a street when I go to work in the morning, won't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment