Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wow, I Got Fucked Over At Work So Badly Today, Un-Fucking-Believable. ...

So you know where I was hopping from one test scoring project to another?  The one where I said, "I'm sure we'll get through to Friday?"  It's over.  The last day's today.

I kind of got wind of something going wrong Tuesday afternoon, I think.  My immediate supervisor told me why he needed to change my score, but then said something to the effect of, "Don't worry, you'll never see this again."  On Monday, the boss said that even though we may not have finished answering all the papers to a question, we might later in the project (which was supposed to last two weeks) -- meaning that we would have time to go back to it.  Did something change?  Or is it something more sinister ... that they knew it was going to be this short all along?  I think they knew.

They were pretty cavalier about the news, which blindsided all of us, this morning.  I was signing in and someone wanted to warn my immediate supervisor of an appointment she had Monday.  Then the boss, with a nonchalant smirk, says (and I don't know if he wanted to speak at a level where people could hear, and he was just didn't give a shit), "That won't be a problem!"  That's when I knew that I made the right decision not to buy creamer when I was putting gas in my car Tuesday after work.

And by the way: When you drop the bomb on us that we're out on our ass, after working just half as long as I thought the project was going to last, which itself was half as long as you guys said the project would last, don't say you're not going to apologize.  None of us demanded an apology from you, but if you are going to conjure up this accusation that we did demand one, well, honestly, then we deserve an apology.  We'll believe you when you say you were told to end the project after three measly days.  (Whether you hid that information from us, I for one don't know.)  But we'll shoot the messenger if you're going to be so damn defensive when you deliver the message.  I like this guy, but damn, his tone pisses me off.

All of this pisses me off.  All of them piss me off.  I like them, I really do.  And that's why I couldn't just pop off and say, "Three days?!  You tell me two weeks and now we're only working three goddamn days?!  And you think you can just joke about this?!?!  I need a fucking paycheck, and I left another job so I could work for you guys!"  I thought I was going to get a little longer work -- scratch that, a lot longer..  But with all the calculations I blogged about concerning whether or not I should have stayed at my old job, turns I didn't need them, because unbeknownst to me I totally should have stuck with the old job.  I also think that there are other people who kind of depend on the money that this project was supposed to bring.  That we're now back on the street after three days is something they should not take lightly.  Knowing that "this could happen" at a job like this isn't good enough for them to say the equivalent of, "Whoops!  My bad!"  And no, declaring that you don't think you need to apologize is just about the worst thing you can say.  Give us a break; we're the ones that are unemployed now.

---

I was so fucking desperate for work that I called up the old job and asked if I could come back.  I am so pathetic.  Assuming that I can't (and why would they?), that's it for test scoring for the year.  And now I really have to find work.  Or, go back to school, which now seems like an incredibly smart idea.  Maybe even an idea I can admit to my parents without shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment