Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Gas, Wine/Cheesecake/Coke Confusion

Maybe I make things more complicated.  But I think I can save some money, and I want to stick to my principles.

I was distressed to see that gas shot up about a dime yesterday.  I was running out of gas in a couple days, and I had decided to partially fill my tank the week before because I waited a day too late to gas up then.  It had shot up about 15 cents when I finally filled up, and out of protest and a way I think I can save gas in case it goes down, I fill it up only halfway.  I don't like doing that because I have a coupon in my back pocket saving me 10 cents per gallon, and I'd rather not use it on a half-ass tank.  But I decided to do it again after seeing that the price did not go down today.

On my back from "work" I was being kind of tailed by this guy.  Not close, but it got my juvenile juices flowing and I gunned my car.  I got it up to 75 m.p.h. today and I don't think I've done that in months, maybe even years.  I got so occupied hearing how my car did going that fast that I missed the exit that led to the gas station, so I had to go the long way.

This gas station, the one I had a coupon for, is very small.  There are only four pumps and two very small driveways to get to them.  Somtimes they are filled, but most of the time there are a couple cars there, enough to make it incredibly difficult to get my car to a pump on my (the driver's) side.  That was the case today.  What was so infuriating about it is I approached the gas station from the street of the intersection I usually don't use; either I could go in and turn my car around so I could back into the pump, or I would've had to take a left turn and come in through the other way, where, because God hates me, a car would drive through there right before me.

Then I realized: Why am I going to this gas station for?  I'm not going to use the coupon because I'm not going to fill up my tank the whole way.  All this doubling back was absolutely not necessary.  I got confused; I didn't have to go there to gas up, so I didn't.  And this is where other people might think I'm weird; I'm going to another gas station because I would feel that I would be obligated to use my coupon at this one.  I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but that's my way of thinking.  So I decided to go to another one station.  But which one?  I have coupons to use at other places, and they are for smaller amounts, so it might be a bit more palatable to use it for a non-full tank ... but nah, I can save those for when I fill up all the way.

So I just decide to go to one closer to home.  Since prices are at around $2.60, I decide to spend $25, enough to get past half wa, which I hear is the point where your gas level should always be because if it's less you start putting your fuel pump under a lot of stress.  Anyway, I go past $25 to $25.01, so I think what the hell, I'll round it up to $26.  (This is why I don't have a girlfriend.)

And so I start up the car to go grab some coffee.  And after I park, which is about a couple miles away, the tank's almost full!  I thought I'd need aboutg $35 or so to fill it up all the way, and I'm just about there.  So why didn't I just fill it up all the way?  And why didn't just go to the station I skipped over, pain in the ass as it is to go to a pump, instead of wasting my time and more gas to go to this one?  And why didn't I just use the coupon, even if the gas price is this high?

Maybe I make things too complicated.

---

There are a couple slice of cheesecake that have been in the refrigerator for a while.  (Does cheesecake spoil?)  There is also some wine left in a bottle we opened over a week ago.  Crane Lake 2006 merlot?  Good and, from what I've researched online, cheap.  In the back of my mind I keep reminding myself to consume both before too long.

I passed out tonight while watching the baseball game; Scott Kazmir was taking too goddamn long to pitch and Mike Napoli made one too many trips to the mound for me to care about watching the game anymore.  I woke up three hours later and, while still groggy, I remember that I need to go downstairs and stash a can of Coke in the downstairs fridge to cool it so I can drink it later tonight.

While down there I hear my parents' bedroom door open.  Of course it's My Fucking Father.  I turn around and close the fridge door just to glare at him as he talks to me about something.  I wanted to let him know I'm up to the schtick he does time and time again.

He actually did have something productive to tell, actually give, me; my money.  He stuck it out to me in an envelope.  As any normal human being, I go to him to get it from his hand.  Unlike any normal human being, he instead just puts it down on the closest thing in front of him.  Asshole.  You fucking asshole.  It's all about you, isn't it, Father?  Can't wait two goddamn seconds so you can hand cash over to me like a grown-up?  Fuck you in the ass, Father.  Again.

I was still steamed at My Fucking Father when I got hungry late tonight and broke out the wine glass and cheesecake.  Then I thought through some things: Shouldn't I be on a diet?  Why then am I eating this cheesecake and drinking this wine and following it with a Coke later?  Why didn't I think this through?  The cake and wine would be enough.  If I had thought it through, it would've saved me from yet another toxic confrontation with My Fucking Father.  Wouldn't've gotten my money, but hell, I could've gotten that tomorrow, I didn't need it now.

I'm still pissed off at My Fucking Father, but I can't just decide to settle for cake and wine when I went down there and had to put up with his shit, so I decide to drink Coke and leave the cake and wine for some other time when I don't have to work the next day and I don't have to be afraid of diarrhea.  So I put away the cheesecake ... till I realize that there's only one slice left.  I thought there were two?  And I looked at the bottle of wine; there's maybe enough for a glass there.  Well, shit -- shouldn't I just finish these off?  I'd have waited another day if there was so much that I couldn't eat and drink it all tonight, but this is so little, why not?  But goddamn My Fucking Father!!!

I finally decide to eat the cake and drink the wine immediately then (around midnight), and meanwhile grab the Coke and let it chill upstairs till a later hour (around 2:30).  The thing I sacrifice is my waistline, but that's already gone.  I made space in the fridge and I got to polish off wine that might soon go bad.  And when I went downstairs to get that Coke, maybe I startled My Fucking Father while he was sleeping.  That'll show him!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment