Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Priceline Success ... Or Is It Failure?

Going to St. Louis.  Time's running short, so I bid on Priceline for a rental.  Always go to Priceline, guys; what you do is check Orbitz for the rack rates (for cars and hotels), then Hotwire for their lower price which you have to commit on.  That should give you the ceiling with which you can lowball a bid for on Priceline, which is what I did.

The cheapest rental for an economy was 18 bucks through Alamo.  On Hotwire, it was 12 -- hell of a lot better than 18.  So I go to Priceline and, what the hell, bid 10 bucks a day.  I'm there only for four days, so maybe it works, and if not, a dozen dollars a day is perfectly reasonable.

Well touch me in the morning then just walk away, my bid was immediately accepted.  It told me I was paying 25% less than the retail rate.  I feel good ... but then I felt bad.  Well shit; if they're going to accept my offer of $10/day, why didn't I say, like, nine a day, or even eight?  This is a purely weekend vacay, so weekend rates apply.  Should've thought of that.

Now I feel like I still paid them too much money.  And when money's so tight, I have to fight for every cent.  And I don't know if I did it when with my "successful" bid on Priceline.

No comments:

Post a Comment