Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Our Dead Grass

When I came home early Monday morning/late night Sunday, I was shocked.  Even though it was the dead of night, I could see discolorations on the lawn.

Only when I woke up in the morning could I see the extent of that.  Mother told me to ask Father about this important task they wanted me to do for them that morning, and he was out in the front lawn, watering it with the hose.  I storm out through the front door -- and I see Father just standing there, spraying water over the yellow parts of the lawn ... which covers half of the front lawn.

This obviously was not the case when I left Wednesday afternoon.  I did see one or two yellow patches, and the lack of soaking rains over long periods of time (instead of the intense rainstorms that we've had over the past two weeks or so) appeared to have stressed out the grasses.  But the difference between the front lawn when I left and when I came back, only four days, is night and day.  I don't think any dry weather the area had while I was gone could be the sole reason for this widespread death of grass in the front yard.  Besides, I've taken a couple glimpses of the backyard and, besides the areas where I applied weedkiller years ago, the grass back there seems fine.

I don't know what happened, but I'm guessing the cause is man-made -- Father-made.  Yesterday (Monday) when I came back from exercising I took a quick walk around the yellow spots, and in many of them, there were small piles of dirt or crumpled rocks.  Assuming Father put them on there, either these things caused the death of the grass or are being used to try and help fix whatever Father did to it.  Regardless of the reason, seeing all these clumps in the dead spots of our lawn looks really weird.

Oh, and I'm not going to bring it up.  I assume that Father made a mistake, and I'd just be wounding his pride if I asked him about it.  He'll probably just lash out at me and start asking me when I'm going back to school or getting a full-time job.  I get my verbal retaliation from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment