Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Spinning My Web Of Lies

It's great to have my sister and brother-in-law back home.  Honest!  But with that comes complications.  They naturally want to see family and old friends while they're here, and they want to visit some places while at home.  But it's hard to do all of that when my parents need to use their minivan for their real estate interests and as I have to go to "work" every day.

Nevertheless, they're only here for so long, and therefore I think I should, and could, be amenable.  My sis approached me tonight to try and make out what they could do before we leave on our trip.  One of the things they want to do is go to the State Fair, and she thought that they, her best friend and I could go Friday afternoon.  That's when I should be "working," and I told her that I took today off to go on an interview, and taking a second day off this week wouldn't look good.  However, the weather on Friday is supposed to be beautiful, Saturday apparently won't work, and Sunday, even though we're all free, is supposed be stormy and sticky.  So, Friday it is.

"So, hey," my sister continued, "We were thinking of two things.  Either all of us (she meant her, my brother-in-law, her best friend and I) could go to the State Fair most of the day ... or, we could take the car and just drop you off at work."

I may have recoiled so much she noticed.  See, I feel secure telling her the truth.  I have told her some things I haven't told my parents, such as that I did have an interview.  Now, that wasn't today, that was two weeks ago, but it's kind of the truth.  So I'm taken aback when she says something that reminds me I've lied to her, and so I have to mentally scramble to cover up my lie.

Luckily, she gave me an out.  "... or, is that too weird?" she said right after she thought they could take the car.  I took her offering, gladly: "Yeah, it's too weird."

I think it would be nice to hang out at the Fair with them, so I think I can break away for, like, half a day.  Still, missing 1 1/2 days out of a workweek should raise suspicions -- if not from my parents, then definitely from someone more hep, like my sister.

Either I have to keep up these lies or I have to hope that my family doesn't give a crap that I'm not working at all right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment