Thursday, August 25, 2016

Well, That Interview Went Fucking Nowhere

Shortly after my last blog post yesterday I saw an e-mail from the company that saw my resume on my LinkedIn and brought me in for an interview on Friday.

Well, since they sent me an e-mail, I knew I wasn't going to be hired.

I told my shrink earlier this week that even if I got rejected, I still feel good because I got this interview basically out of the blue.  Well, fuck that.  This sucks.  I want something real good to happen in my life, and getting a full-time job would have been it.  (The pay wouldn't be great; I looked up how much this position pays on average; my current hourly wage, prorated to 40 hours per week and 52 weeks per year, exceeds that, but hey, I would also get benefits.)  But it is not to be.

I wonder if it was my fault.  Was I too flippant?  Was me not understanding what the company does a red flag?  Did naming a client which actually was no longer a client a bad thing?  Ooh-ooh-ooh, maybe it was getting the name of one of the interviewer's bosses wrong?  That could have been it.  Or, all of it could have been it.  Or, maybe none of it was it.

You know, when one looks back on his life, he can see Janus points, forks on the road, decisions which led you to the life you live now.  Or, the non-life.  I'm not sure where mine was, but I guess there was a time or times where I could have become serious about finding a career.  But back then, I was determined to be a sports announcer, and until then, I would keep my prospects free by temping until I get that chance.  Well, those play-by-play jobs aren't knocking down my door, and I've been temping for two decades now.  I don't have an extensive track record of job to draw from as a result.  I therefore am stained by this peripatetic work lifestyle because I will be defined by it from now on.  And it that's the case, maybe I'll always be a temp.  So why in the fuck do I even bother interviewing for full-time jobs?

I don't know.

---

Just to show I have no hard feelings I tried replying to the company on the e-mail address given me.  But it bounced back to me.  Hey, I am just trying to be professional, like all these work experts say I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment