Monday, August 22, 2016

And I Just Drew A Blank

So yesterday I said I was going to dump the papers My Fucking Father ordered me to clean out of my bathroom, but I was going to toss it in storage instead.  And that's what I was going to do after dinner last night, after I went to Urban Bean to do some stuff online but couldn't because for some goddamn reason my laptop couldn't connect.  (I can connect here to Diamonds for some reason -- what the hell is going on?)  Need to get this out of my car before my parents suspect something.

But the weirdest, demoralizing thing happened.  I went from Uptown all the way to my storage unit, and when I got to the gate I ... I -- I forgot the code to open the gate.  I have been able to remember all these years, but whether it be forgetfulness for not visiting the storage unit in so long or the stress in dealing with My Fucking Father, this code, which I used to be able to punch in on instinct, was totally lost on me.  I tried every single number combination that popped in my head, and I knew they were codes for something else, but I tried them anyway, to no avail.  After a couple minutes, to my supreme disbelief in myself, I opened up the hatch of my car, covered the bag and boxes with my blanket, and drove home, hoping there isn't a situation where My Fucking Father would discover them.

I spent most of last night tearing through my bedroom trying to find the code.  It is written down in two places: The envelope I was given containing the key to my storage unit (the owner of the facility wrote the code on the front of the envelope) and a business card.  I had seen both of those things recently, and I knew that once I found one of them, I would slap my head in a "how in the fuck could I forget that code!" kind of way.  But it took me about, oh, two hours to find it.

Finally, a little before 2 in the morning, I found it.  It was in my bookbag, a place I looked for those codes twice last night.  But after going through it with a finer-toothed comb, I saw the envelope, presumably stuck inbetween things or maybe I just overlooked it.  And to be quite honest, even though I remember what the code is now, I wasn't even close to the correct code when I was at the gate.  I swear I thought this code was just, like, hardwired into my head, but apparently it slipped out of my consciousness inconspicuously and without a trace.

Maybe due to having a long sleep Sunday morning, I didn't get to sleep till around 3 in the morning.  When I woke up at 6 this morning, I thought about altering my plans on going to Al's Breakfast (want to do that before the students come back, otherwise I'll never get in) till another day, but I figured that after a full night's sleep, I think I can get away with three hours.  That allowed me to get away without any chance either of the parental units could take a quick peek into the trunk of my car.  So, before I go home, I assume I'll be able to go to my storage unit and stow those away for safe-keeping.  Nevertheless, forgetting that code is quite humiliating to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment