Monday, August 1, 2016

Lazy Monday

Might have to rethink going to Atlanta.  My return flight home last night, which was supposed to be wheels-up at 10 local, got delayed all the way to 12:22 this (Monday) morning.  Got in at 1:43 when we should have arrived at 11:40 the previous evening.

Didn't know if my parents would still be up for picking me up.  Didn't think I was completely entitled to it, especially since I decided not to pick them up for a flight that came in when I was going to work.  (Had I not blogged about this?  I've been scrolling through my previous blog posts and I can't find it.  I swear I talked about it ...)  But they did.

I was going to keep up with my ruse of going to work, but coming in at a quarter to 2 pretty much kiboshes any idea I could reason with them that I could get up at 7:30 and pull out a full day, even though Mother wanted me to wake up in the morning because she needed me to do something for them real bad.  Besides, I really was tired.  So I went to bed at 3:30 or so and woke up at a quarter to 8.  I probably could've gone out to "work" without falling asleep on the highway.

I always am itching to leave because I'm nervous being around my parents with nothing to do.  (And no, cleaning my room doesn't count.)  They're always going to ask questions about when am I going back to school, and when I am going to find a girlfriend.  But I didn't have a choice today -- at least until I did the thing they wanted me to do for them.  Once I was done, then I was gone.

But a funny thing happened.  First, they had to leave to visit one of their rental properties.  I stayed up until they came back.  I did their thing for them, basically collecting all these photos regarding one of their Vegas properties into one-mail and sending them to an appraiser.  Then Father asked me to look for price quotes on a minivan we need for our road trip next month.  After Mother asked me for help sending an e-mail, Father asked me to stay for lunch, which I did.  During lunch (which took a lot longer to wait for than it should have -- where did Mother go before she picked up Arby's?), the only abrasive questions Father asked was why I always take domestic vacations and not international ones.  Somewhat annoying, but I answered it.  Mother asked for help composing yet another e-mail.  But that was it.  I was gone, going to the library to type this.

After a long day of waiting at the airport, I could use a nothing day such as today.  But I always figured that my parents, in particular Father, would come down on me for taking it easy.  That is not the case, apparently.  Maybe I've been underestimating them, or maybe they're preparing to hammer me for something else.  But it's shocking to me at how ... easygoing they have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment