Friday, June 30, 2017

Changing Modems Regrets

I replaced cable modems tonight.  Successfully, I think so.  Much better to buy your own modem than rent the modem/router combo given to us when we had cable Internet installed, even if the modem that was given us works just fine.  For this new (and touted as best) modem I need a router, and thankfully Father bought one, so I brought that out of the box and we're using it now.

What I wanted to do before I switched it, however, was apply a speed test to the modem we had.  Wanted to see, just in case, whether the modem we rented is actually faster than the modem/router combo that we're using now.  But I forgot to do that before I switched modems after dinner today.  Meant to do it, but it just slipped my mind.  Still wonder, but it's now too late, because switching modems means connecting online with Comcast to re-activate the old modem, I think, and I guess it's just too much hassle for a point of curiosity at this point.

Oh, well.  Even if it's decisively slower, it's better to buy your own modem than to rent one from the cable company.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment