Wednesday, June 7, 2017

I Detect A Pattern Of Lies

The more I think about this, the angrier I get about this.

For tonight and tomorrow night, the test scoring project is extending hours at work.  To 13 hours.  As I had said before, I am chronically unemployable, so I have to make hay while the sun is shining, and therefore I am going to do all 26 hours if it kills me.  And it might.

Earlier this week I asked if there was going to be pizza offered in the evening for those pulling these yeoman's hours.  That is what happened at least once, if not twice, when this test scoring project went into the night like this last season.  I think this is a perfectly reasonable concession by the company.

My room boss made inquiries, and a couple days ago she said that there will be pizza.  A great thing to look forward to when your eyes are glazing over at 6 in the evening.  And so I waited tonight, and waited.  Then, much to my surprise comes the Project Manager coming in with groceries.  Vegetable plates and hummus and shit.

Appetizer?

As we the minutes went on, the answer to that rhetorical question became an emphatic fuck no.  This is the inducement, the reward, the thank-you we got from the company tonight.  Not greasy pizza.  Carrots.  Broccoli.  Triscuits.  Ranch dip.  Rectangular pats of cheese.  Cold snack food.

You fucking kidding me?

I don't care that we don't have a contract saying that they have to give us pizza.  And it's not as if we have been given food every time we work beyond the normal 9-to-5.  For example, this place used to provide bagels on weekends.  Not anymore, but hey, like I said, I can't work anywhere else, so I deal.

But this one is different.  When the room boss said that she confirmed that there will be pizza, the company made a promise: We.  Are.  Entitled.  To.  Pizza.  I don't know if my room boss changed her mind or if someone above her pulled rank.  But goddammit, I assumed that we were going to get pizza because the entire room was told we would get it.  And we didn't get it.  So I and we are justified in thinking we just got royally fucked in the ass.

It gets worse.  Tomorrow we're not even supposed to get veggies and dip.  My room boss said that there would be no treats Thursday night.  "Make sure you bring food," she said.  We stay 13 goddamn hours and this is the fucking thanks we get?

---

Another reason I am angry is because this is the second "promise" they decided not to keep.  Remember when I blogged a couple weeks ago that we were going to be switched to a new project until the papers for our project were scanned in?  Well, we never got around to that project.  When we were called back from furlough, it was the old project, the one we're doing now.  I'm not that bent out of shape that we were misled on what project we were doing.  But I can nonetheless chalk this up to someone changing his/her/their mind(s) and not telling us.

I detect a pattern of lies with this company, something that is much more virulent and consistent than any of the other shenanigans I have had to deal from this company.  I don't like it.  We have been screwed in two ways over the course of this same project.  And whether it be incompetence or malevolence, I really, really don't like to be treated unfairly like this.  Yeah, I'm getting pissed off over not getting pizza.

---

We were told yesterday (Tuesday) that after our current project is done, we will be switched over to another project that has fallen behind.  That is supposed to start next week.  Thursday, actually ... even though Thursday is supposed to be the end date of our current project.

I no longer believe them.  I think we're losing our jobs next Wednesday.  Hope I'm wrong.  But fuck it, I'm still hoping for fucking pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment