Thursday, June 1, 2017

Things At Around 4:30 In The Morning

So I'm up now.  And awake.  This after I decided not to take chances and, seeing that Kimmel was in a rerun the day after a new episode (what gives?), went to bed early in case my body was tired.  And it was ... only to wake up upon hearing my sister WhatsApp me at 12:45, then just waking up at ... uh, 3:15 or so, maybe?

All this coffee that I need to stay awake is now keeping me up at odd times of the night.  I think.  Actually I'm not to angry.  But that may be because right now, as I type this, I feel refreshed.  I reserve the right to totally change my mind at 5:45, the time I scheduled my alarm clock.  I also may change my tune any time during the day when I'm tired as fuck.

---

At this point I kind of wish I had just one job, the day job.  The night job is great because of the people I work with and for, but that comes at the end of a long day, and maybe I'm too old for this shit.

I was looking forward to this project actually being done early.  The drop-dead date was Monday, but coming in one day to start the week makes no sense.  There was talk that we could get done Friday, which would be perfect.  Actually, I thought we were moving so fast that we would be done Saturday.  I don't know what the complication is.  We're not reading essays, we're reading short answers that many people (not me) can whip through.  But the big problem that made my prediction that we'd be done by Saturday totally wrong is that the estimates for how many answers we'd go through a day has tailed off drastically.  We could be -- ugh! -- on time with a project.  That usually never happens!

That's throwing everything off.  For one thing, I had to tell my parents that I wouldn't be coming home for dinner for a third week.  I don't know if saying I'll be gone Monday as well will fly, especially since I am seeing a free movie next Thursday.  For another, the day project, which is sticking to its drop-dead date despite starting well behind schedule, has extended its days to 11 hours per week.  Part of that overlaps with the start of the night project, so I have left "early" in order to fulfill my hours with the night shift.  I don't mind that, but juggling between the two to get the most money between them -- the day project has more hours and thus the chance for overtime, but the night project pays at a better rate -- makes me scared that I'm not maximizing the money I could be making.  Plus, the hours are taking a toll, as I complained about above.

And on top of that, if the day project goes to extremes and we could work, say, from 7 in the morning till 9 at night (and I think we did that a couple nights last year), I still won't be coming home to eat dinner.  Mother insisted that I cross off all dates I'm not eating at home on a calendar on the wall of the kitchen.  I looked the other night that I crossed off nearly every single day in May.  I have never seen or done that before in my life.  I took the night project partly because My Fucking Father pissed me off about him not liking what I'm doing with my life, but even I thought that was excessive.  But all those crossed-off dates might extend into June, and I don't know if I'm too sanguine about that.

---

As awake as I am, I need to try and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment