Friday, May 26, 2017

Two Jobs, One Goal ... Moving Target

OK, it's time that I switch wi-fi providers.  My 60-month promotional period where I got a deal on my slow, 3-meg wi-fi finally is up, but the billing cycle begins on the 3rd.

Meanwhile, I have confirmed that ... might as well say it, Comcast still has a deal on their introductory price for the year.  I went to their store to ask some questions, and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this deal.  Now I just need to do this do-see-do: Cancel my 3 Meg service and get the 55 Meg service installed.  I kind of think I can't have both of them at the same time, though, so I am trying to disconnect my old wi-fi while being able to pick up the new wi-fi the next day, if not immediately.  Is there a way to do that?  There isn't some law, is there?  Man, maybe I'm overthinking this; maybe I just need to do it.

However, finding the time to cancel and to call a guy over to start my new Internet is predicated on having time during the day to do it.  I have some time right now, as in I have about a week to schedule the cancel date and an appointment from the Comcast guy to come in and upgrade our wi-fi.  But the constant shifting of work for both of my projects has me flummoxed.

I've talked about the day project before.  I have never experienced a project where the work just wasn't there.  We were cut loose early a couple days last week, told to go home somewhat early Monday, then told to go home after about 2 1/2 hours Tuesday.  At the time we were told to come back at 10 Wednesday ... but stay by the phone just in case.  And that's when we were told not to come at Wednesday after all, and stay by the horn Thursday.

Well, Thursday (yesterday) morning I was settling into Caribou/Einstein where, after about three bites of my bagel, a bit past 8, I got a call from my immediate supervisor, who sounded more overjoyed than she should have that we had work.  "When should I come in?" I asked.  "Oh, whenever," she said, and I was fucking lost at that point.  I didn't want to drop everything and rush on over there.  I knew I basically was on-call for this job, at least for the day, but I wanted to catch up on my receipts, and, if possible, I would have taken the time to schedule the installer appointment.  But instead I went to work.

And things are still touch-and-go.  There was work Thursday, but it seemed to have slowly petered out.  We were then told to be on-call Friday/today, but before we left we were told that there was work and that we in fact could come in early.  However, the room boss said that could change.  We might be behind schedule, so a part of me thinks that, even though it hasn't been even seriously considered, we'd be coming in Saturday (assuming, of course, there are papers to grade).  Hell, we were told a week or so ago that we'd be able to fucking work Memorial Day.  All they seem to know is that we will work Tuesday because school officials will be there and we have to work then.  I don't get that; I would think that they would rather know that the work is being done, the earlier the better.

While I could use the work, I appreciated the fact that, at least, I had the time during the day to get this wi-fi switch done.  I could use another day to get all my questions answered and to iron out all the details in order to finally commit to this.  I wished/thought it was Thursday, but now it's not, and the worry is is that I don't know when I would have a day free to finally do this.

However, all of that would be relieved if I had my nights free.  Which takes me to my night project.  It was slated for three days, but the questions are so easy that it probably will get done in two.  However, earlier this week I felt like we were cruising along, to the point where we might -- with the help of Saturday, at which would be able to work -- we would get done this week.  That would give me all of next week to set up all the times and appointments.  It would be the best of both worlds: I would maximize the promo price for my old wi-fi and delay for as long as possible getting the new wi-fi, and I would have the time to go seamlessly from one to the other.

Now that might be up in the air.  With the knowledge that we are speeding along, my room boss for this project switched a half-dozen people last (Thursday) night into another room.  That will slow us down, possibly to the point where we will go back to our original target date of completion, which is Monday, June 5 -- two days into the new cycle.  If I'm stuck in nights working as well days, I won't get this done.  And so I'm in the weird position of actually hoping that this job gets done sooner so I have time to switch Internets.

(sigh) This is so freakin' complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment