Thursday, May 18, 2017

From Spending No Money To Spending A Whole Lotta Money (Scheduled Post)

Well, this thing about doing two test scoring projects at the same time (one during the day and one at night) has gone a little sideways on me.  Then again, since being a slave to the amount of work/being jerked around is or should be something I'm used to as a worker in this "industry."

Echoing what happened at the project at the Megamall, both projects from both test scoring companies have said that the papers have not come in yet.  That has prevented us from jumping directly from training to actual scoring/working.  That hasn't really been a problem at the start of our projects because, obviously, we are training.  But we are coming to the end of that.  Usually, though not always, everything is set for us, and once training's over, we go to work.  That may or may not be happening right now.

That may be the reason why we're going so slow in the day project.  We have had only two tests per day, and we've been given three hours or so to do them.  This isn't the SAT, guys.  Not that I'm complaining; I refuse to fear a test, so I go with my gut and I'm done within, oh, 15 minutes and then I got to my car to take a nap.  In fact I appreciate all this.  Yet if this is my room boss' reasoning, it still isn't working.  Today we were asked to give our phone numbers.  I think that is in case there is absolutely no work and that we shouldn't come to work at all.  That sucks, and that also isn't quite what I signed up for.

In the meantime, we've been cut early both yesterday and today.  In a way, that alleviates any worry that I wouldn't be able to get to training in time at the night project.  But I've had so much time that, to pass the time, I've spent money on things.  I didn't plan on doing that.  In fact, part of the reason why I decided to do two projects at once is to prevent myself from spending money.  But free time abhors a vacuum, and I at least are getting some things done.  I just got my hair cut, for example.  I'm blogging this for publishing overnight -- did so the same time yesterday -- which allows me to not have to stay up all night to do my daily blog post.  And that's free, too.  But now I am done with this blog post, and I still have time, so I am going to park my car over at the night scoring place and walk over to a restaurant to have a beer.  Why?  I don't think I've ever drank before work, at least at this place, and I may not have the opportunity to do again.  I'm spending money on a once-in-a-lifetime moment.  Uh, fair enough trade, I guess. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment