Sunday, March 28, 2021

Addendum To: Called Out For Being Late But Not Tardy ... Or Tardy But Not Late

OK, more than a week ago I received an e-mail from my boss tallying all the times I was punching in technically after my shift begins but before policy states that I am "late."  The tone of his e-mail made me think he was doing it because he had to.  We had a meeting last week, and turns out that is exactly why he sent it.  I didn't realize, even though I should have, that he sent a similar e-mail to everyone who works under him, and so there were grumblings that he was cracking down hard on everybody, which, in a perverse sense, shows how fair of a boss he's trying to be.  Still, I don't like what he's doing, and even if he is under orders, he is the one who is administering them.  If I have any objections with this (and as soon as I start coming in at 7:01 again I will), I have to take it up with him, not the people who really want to punish us for being late but not tardy ... or tardy but not late.  Whatever.

Which brings me up to possibly the worst thing about this stupid idea.  As bosses go, I think he's a good one.  Not to say that I would know, since this is the first "real" job I have ever had, so I don't have much experience with authority figures who can seriously impact my life.  I mean, people I worked for when I was a temp could have been assholes, to which I know I can just mentally check out because pretty soon, I would never have to see them again.  But I lucked out with this job.  I think.  So far.

Unfortunately, even though I guess I should cut him some slack over this, this e-mail is a helpful reminder that he may be a good boss, but he is still my boss.  There are some things he is going to do that I simply will not like.  And those will be the times that I have to remember that there is a divide between people at work, especially when those people are on different levels in the company.  As it should be, I think.  There are conflicts of interest that could pop up and, if a something serious happens, accusations of impropriety could be leveled against you if you are fraternizing with those above (or below) you in the organizational chart.  More importantly, at least the way I see it, it makes my life a whole lot easier if you keep your bosses, and maybe even people at work (I'm wrestling with widening the circle to this extent), at a distance.  You let them in, you start to believe you two are friends, and then he or she does something and you feel so betrayed, and then you get so upset that you can't work there anymore, and so you have to find a new job, which is a pain in the ass.

My boss had done some fun things to boost morale in the workplace in the past, and even though I appreciated it, it doesn't seem necessary.  Work is work, and sometimes such activities seem forced.  Also, though, one gets (well, I get) the sense that my boss wants to be seen as human.  Look, no one wants to come off as a bad person.  But ... he's the boss.  By definition, at times he will be a bad person.  And so I think it behooves me to keep thinking that way in order to keep a good perspective at my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment