Thursday, March 25, 2021

COVID Vaccine FOMO

My sister just sent the family a photo of both of her vaccination cards.  She got her second shot yesterday, so in two weeks she'll be fully vaccinated.  She is younger than me, but as a Ph. D. candidate she also lectures, which means she lectures, which means she technically is an educator, and so she was eligible to get her shot.

Meanwhile, last week (last Thursday, in fact), my brother posted a photo of his first vaccine card to us.  I don't know how in the hell he got his.  He's only a year older than me, and even though I think he's in worse health than I, I don't think he had any of the underlying conditions that would have made him eligible to get the shot now.  Was he a vaccine vulture, lurking at pharmacies late at night in case there were extra vaccinations available that otherwise would have gone to waste?  Did he call up his doctor?  Did he cajole his doctor?

Meanwhile, my parents, after some early anxiety, have gotten theirs -- almost.  Mother, who got her first shot at a Walgreen's pharmacy, was told by them she couldn't schedule her second, was told by that same pharmacy later to just come in the day she was supposed to get her second (a month after she got her first) and they'll find time and a shot for her, was told by that same pharmacy later later not to come in because they had no vials of vaccine, and was later later later then called by another Walgreen's pharmacy two days before she was supposed to get her second and told her they had shots and they could give her one ... so long as she left for the pharmacy immediately.  Which my parents did.  Finally, I take Father for his second vaccination Saturday.  Two weeks after, my parents will be fully vaccinated and I won't have to worry about inadvertently giving them COVID-19.

In the meantime, I am still waiting.  Haven't gotten my first.  Haven't been able to schedule my first.  According to the Minnesota Department of Health, I am not eligible for a shot yet.  And yet, seeing the rest of my close family, including my two healthy siblings, get theirs, I have to admit I am getting a burgeoning case of Fear Of Missing Out.  I think I've been careful, and I think I can continue to use guidelines that have kept me safe from the start.  But this is the end of the tunnel, and if my brother and sister can already get it, why can't I?

Still, I'm conflicted.  I do not want to be seen as cutting in line.  But (and I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist) is demand really outstripping supply, or could it actually be the other way around?  I want to get this goddamn coronavirus behind me, and yet I feel like I'm back in junior high school, wondering what do the cool and happy kids have that I don't.  Jealousy is a dangerous emotion to have, and yet I am starting to feel jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment