Friday, March 26, 2021

Goddammit, Can You Just Let Me Get My Shots By Myself?

So I'm taking my old man to get his second vaccination.  And I knew that my parents would say, "Hey, why don't we ask if you can get a shot?"  And that turned to, "OK, you're gonna walk in with me and we are gonna ask if we could get a shot, OK?"  Even though I do not have an appointment, I currently do not meet eligibility requirements to get a shot, and the state of Minnesota will expand eligibility to include everybody over the age of 15 on Tuesday.  But no, I'm supposed to walk my ass alongside him and beg if I could cut in line and get a shot alongside him.

This is another instance where I am being babied by my folks even though I can take care of this by myself.  Yes, this is a very contagious and possibly dangerous virus, and yes, I do understand that my parents just want me to be safe.  But I've been able to dodge the coronavirus this long, and I think I am disciplined enough to continue to do this.  Besides, I only have to wait one more goddamn week before I can sign up for a shot.  Instead, I have to potentially be humiliated in front of strangers who think I'm a weasel for trying to get my vaccine before it's my turn.

What a stupid goddamn idea.  I don't have to fucking do this.  But my parents really, really want me to, and if I resist long and hard enough, they're going to pull the "If you could do this by yourself, you'd be living by yourself," and I know that it's already in the back of their minds when they brought up this bullshit at dinner.  Can't they just leave this alone?  Can't they just leave me alone?  This is so fucking infantilizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment