Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Now I Get To Try This Work-From-Home Thing!

Test scoring is back!  After taking the year off from test scoring at all, one of the companies I had worked for has been able to retool their technology to allow remote scoring for 2021.  I called my contact at this place late last year, and she put me on the list.  I was sent an offer through e-mail a few days ago and, after going back and forth about it, I said yes.

And the interesting/intriguing/challenging thing about this is is that I have yet to do the WFH thing.  There are some things you need to do to be a productive worker that a home environment may interfere with, to be sure.  But with the added privacy and security concerns over testing kids' papers, there is even more scrutiny to toe the line.  And shoot, I've never done this before.  I get to use my laptop, but I don't think I can sit up straight on my bed grading essays for four hours, so I'll have to move over to my desk, which for the longest time I have not used as anything except a place to store my papers and to throw my shirts on.  And right now, I am imagining how to keep my laptop plugged in.  The closest power source is to my right, but I know I will be using my mouse for this, and I am right-handed.  Will I need to find a plug or power strip to my left?  Because my bed is to the left of the desk, and I might have to move my bed in order to get to the outlet on the wall or the power strip down by the baseboard.  And that means once I'm done with my shift (it's in the evening), I'll have to move my bed in order to sleep.

Oh, and about sleep ... what I am really afraid of is staying awake.  This past evening, because I was tired, I went to bed around 6 and woke up around 11.  In other words, I have gone to sleep.  (I have a few hours left before I need to wake up for work; that will qualify as my "nap.")  I have chronicled here on WAF how I now just conk off during the evening -- and this project is taking place in the evening.  It is projected to last for a month (although, if I apply what I usually my estimate about how long this will take, I could be done in as little as two weeks), but will I be able to stay up -- especially given that, unless I move my workplace to, say, the living room, my bed will be right there, enticing me to slip in and be enveloped by its safe and warm tentacles?

Only one way to find out, and it's, uh, finding out.  And I start finding out next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment