Sunday, March 14, 2021

Getting Reimbursed For My Membership ... Gone Bye-Bye!

I continue to state (even though I have nothing to compare it with) that my company gives out pretty good benefits.  (It stopped giving us free money that they automatically put into a 401[k] and instead turned it into an employer-matching program, but that's another story for another time.)  One of the perks -- which, I admit, I think many companies do -- is reimburse employees for items and services meant to better yourself physically.  Things like gym memberships.

Back in early February of last year, when I started to get scared about the coronavirus, I reupped with my gym/community center for a year.  I kept the receipt, which I needed to scan in and send to Human Resources in order to get my money back, in a little box at work which was made for me by someone at work.  Kept it there all year.  However, the period in which to fill out this application in order to get paid back for it was the month of January.  We obviously are way past January.

Thing is, this realization hit me, out of the blue, I think on Thursday at work.  I was about to put a folder through a window because I was done with it, I came across my desk (I was working on a different desk this day because I was doing a different job this day), and I somehow remembered that I had a receipt for the annual membership I re-upped with the community center that I needed to ... well, should've sent in.  And I then went online to check the deadline and saw that I was way, way late.  Randomly out of the blue I remembered that I had forgotten to do something.

I don't feel a whole lot of guilt, though.  I haven't exercised there in over a year.  Too dangerous, still.  I may have went there twice after I re-upped before everything shut down.  It is open now, and Friday the governor loosened restrictions on gyms even more, but I still don't think I'm going to go, at least not until two weeks after I get my final vaccination.  Anyway, with me not going to work out, it was easy, and natural, for me to forget that I could get my money back for this membership.  One of the departments I work in had a meeting in January in which all of us were reminded to get our reimbursement forms in by the end of the month, and that warning didn't register with me.  In my mind, it wasn't just a matter of not needing to get money back from something I wasn't using, if that makes any sense.  I had put out of my mind the thought of regularly going to exercise, so I don't remember paying an annual membership, so this reminder my boss told me in January did not pertain to me.  I think that was totally understandable to forget.

Still sucks, though.  Still hate myself for not remembering, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment