Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The Ruined Condolence Card

On Friday I signed a condolence card; one of my co-workers lost her mother.  And I wrote something down only to make a goddamn spelling error; I think I meant to write "you" but got "your" in my head and stupidly split the difference and wrote "yor."  So I had to scratch it off awkwardly so I could write what I mean to write.

But isn't that embarrassing, making a mistake on a condolence card?  You shouldn't do that.  You just shouldn't.  It is supposed to be a gesture of sympathy, even love.  I don't think it's too much to ask not to fuck it up.  But I did.  Now there's this motherfucking scribble to blot out the "r" I didn't mean to write on a symbol meant to convey prayerful thoughts for a co-worker's profound loss.  And I'll bet you that's the only mistake on the card.  My co-worker will see it, then immediately direct her attention to my goddamn scratch-off and go, "What an idiot!"

Making that mistake bothers me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment