Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Cheating On My Drink?

I should blog post about the amount of alcohol I need to drink before my folks come home.  At any rate, I am drinking on cocktail I am making for myself most days of the week.  That included yesterday/Tuesday, but I wasn't planning on making myself a margarita until I learned yesterday/Tuesday morning that it was National Margarita Day, and so I just had to make a marg for myself.  Not bad; I think I'm getting good at it.  I strictly follow the International Bartenders Association's recipe for it, and the only thing that would make it a margarita I'm truly familiar with is the salted rim, which I can't do.

But instinctively and maybe reflexively, late tonight I opened up a bottle of Boathouse Farms Berry Boost after cleaning the dishes in the laundry room downstairs.  I was thirsty and this chore wasn't all that enjoyable, so even though I had drank the margarita just a half-hour before, I felt the need to drink something else -- something non-alcoholic.

And now I feel guilty.  It feels as though a cocktail should be the last thing you drink in the evening, you know what I mean?  OK, maybe you don't.  But I don't remember drinking a cocktail and then later drinking something non-alcoholic.  Now I oftentimes drink water with my alcohol to make sure I hydrate, and I think I have done that many times when fixing myself a drink the past few months.  But fruit juice?  This might be the first time I have drunk something, uh, substantial after consuming a cocktail.  And I feel as though I have ruined the marg I made for myself by defiling my palate with a different drink.

Shit.  I feel like a heel.  I feel like I should make myself another alcoholic drink -- both to make sure that's the last substantial thing I drink tonight and to forget that I cheated on my margarita with a non-alcoholic drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment