Thursday, April 20, 2023

I Really Fuckin' Hate My Boss Right Now

So The Fourth Department has actually been shit this week.  I knew it was going to be rough Monday because there is stuff piled up from the weekend that I wouldn't completely get to because I had to leave to take my parents to the airport.  That stuff I left over would make Tuesday bad.  But I was hoping things would thin out yesterday/Wednesday.  It didn't.  There was as much shit I had to do as the previous two days, and I had no idea I would be pulling a ten-hour day.

It didn't help, however, that my boss yelled at me yesterday morning, and I think it was over nothing.  So in this position I have to e-mail the lab from time to time to talk about forms.  I asked a question about this particular form because there was ... oh, fuck, I don't know what was wrong with it.  Then I e-mailed my boss, because my supervisor wasn't there to help me.  Literally ten seconds after I e-mail my boss, he comes striding up to my workstation.  He got wind of the first e-mail I sent to the lab.  He told me I cannot, under no circumstances, ask any more questions to the people working in the lab.  That wasn't great, but what irked, and irks, me is I shortly thereafter saw that he e-mailed me back regarding my first e-mail to the lab, and I fucking hate his tone.  I expressly remember only one sentence: "Please don't ask any more questions to the lab."

The one big pain-in-the-ass about The Fourth Department is that I serve as a trash receptacle for every weird goddamn problem that crops up.  I don't know how to handle them, even years after I've been trained in this job.  I was told early on that I'll get hit with weird shit from time to time, to which I and even they won't quite know what to do.  So, they keep reminding me, ask questions.  So I did ... to the lab.  I will admit that my boss had said before, and maybe on more than one occasion, that the lab can't answer the particular question I had at the time for a particular form.  But goddammit, he never fucking gave me any order to never ask those people questions period until yesterday.  He came in acting as if he told me so, and as if he was upset that I didn't follow what he had already said, and that simply is not fucking true.

This problem was cleared up eventually.  I should talk to my supervisor about what I should do in such a case ... that is if I have time.  I no longer believe that there will be any downtime in this position the rest of the week.  Instead, I'll be pulling ten-hour days today/Thursday and tomorrow/Friday, definitely because of the shit ton of work that'll come in and possibly because of the weird bullshit that'll drain my energy before I even sit down in the morning.  I'm anticipating someone being mad at me the moment I walk through the door.  Anyway, I'm trying my damnedest to avoid a repeat of this, uh, "issue."

In the meantime, fine, whatever, no questions to the lab.  What I asked seemed innocent to me, but whatever.  I'm thinking that if the lab were so goddamn bent out of shape with me asking why and what to do, they'd tell me directly.  Either they didn't have the courage to do that or, and I'm thinking this is the likelier reason, my boss was upset with me because all these innocent questions I asked the lab continually found their way back to him and he felt as though he needed to do clean-up.  (I'm not absolutely sure it's not the lab, however, so I'll keep my distance from them.)  I'm not ... well, I don't think I'll go in to work yelling at my boss.  Overall he's been a good boss, and besides, I need this job.  But no, I kind of fucking hate him right now.  Haven't felt jobbed by him this intensely ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment