Friday, April 14, 2023

Taxes -- Down The Stretch I Go

Tax Day is Tuesday, and even though I've been working on it, it kind of sprung up on me.  I don't think I even touched my documents or downloaded any forms until April Fool's Day because I was preparing the house for my parents.  Part of me thinks that my streams of income are stable enough that I can remember what I have done in years past and apply them to this year, no problem.

That's ... not going that way.  I wanted to find the work I did for last year's taxes, and for the life of me, I can't find them.  I even went to my storage locker because I thought I stashed in there (by mistake), but I couldn't find them there.  That wouldn't matter if I do the math wrong; I just worked on my taxes just now and I put in an amount on a worksheet where I should have zeroed it out instead.  Don't know what I was thinking.  If I didn't catch that, I would have paid more than I have to.  And then on top of all that I realized that the Minnesota Frontline Worker Program bonus check I got late last year is not taxable by the state but is taxable at the federal level.  I was under the impression that money was totally tax-free.  But because that qualifies as income, I have to redo my 1040.

Thank goodness I caught those errors.  That Buddha I'm working on them now.  I only have several days left, but if I had procrastinated doing them till the weekend, I'm not so sure I would have caught those mistakes.  With that being said, I can't completely dismiss the possibility I'll screw up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment