Sunday, April 23, 2023

Sorry, Booker T

I want to see Booker T. Jones at the Dakota tonight.  Two shows, 6 and 8.  Really want to go, even if the only thing I know from him is "Green Onions."  But I'm not.  A lot of it is I'm worried about the crowd for the Timberwolves Game, even though it tips off at 8:30 and, as I type this a bit after 5, there could be a lull in downtown because the Twins finished their Win 60-90 Minutes ago.  But I can't be sure it won't be teeming with fans, say, doing a Twins-Timberwolves double.  Besides, lot parking is going to be through the roof regardless, and I'm not sure if I can find meter parking, and even if I do, I'm scared to parallel park without the back-up camera from my car.  I should man up and refresh myself on how to do that with my parents' minivan, but I don't want to.

I'll admit that I'm also scared that a beat-up vehicle like the minivan will get stolen downtown.

Really, however, I'm scared as hell that if I drive the minivan too much, it'll break down.  It's a tough car, I'll tell you that, and I have to remind myself that I had the water pump and brake pads replaced just over a year ago.  And yet it does have 280,000 miles on it, so really, anything could happen, and if it does, I'll have two cars, neither of which work.  That would fucking suck.

There are many good, real reasons not to go, at least not this time around.  But I'm fighting the urge to fight that urge, if that makes any sense, to "be courageous" and not worry about the car (which I probably don't have to do; putting my anxiety aside, I am fairly certain it won't break down if I drove it downtown), and enjoy myself.  YOLO and all that.  There are also reasons not to see him, either.  Tickets are expensive to see a guy for whom you know only one song, albeit a classic and even though you won't know if he's going to come around again (Mr. Jones seems to be of good health, knock on wood).  Of the two shows, the earlier show is the more expensive; $50-5 is pricey.  The late show is ten bucks cheaper, but of course I'll be facing the teeth of T-Wolves traffic, so that's out.  I just hate the feeling that I don't get to decide not to do something because circumstances prevent me from doing it.  If my car were totally fine and I still didn't want to see Booker T. Jones, I would be OK with it.  But I feel as though my decision is influenced by not having my car to use.  You know what I mean?

Regardless of my real reasons, sorry, Booker T, but I'll catch you next time -- when my car is reliably healthy and when there's nothing going on downtown.  Hope to see you then, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment