Saturday, April 1, 2023

2023 March Madness Anti-Picks, Round 5

Record, Round 4: 3-2
Overall Record: 17-20
Outlay, Round 4: $500.00
Winnings, Round 4: $572.70
Gain, Round 4: $72.70
Overall Loss: $617.37

And yep, back on the upside for the even, two-Day turnaround Rounds.  I was screwed over by Texas -4, but the Longhorns suffered a strange brownout seven Minutes into a Second Half where they capitulated on a double-digit lead and lost to Miami.  That took out the four-team parlay that would have put me in the black and probably would have convinced me to end my Anti-Picks for this tournament.  In retrospect, I should have laid some money down on Florida Atlantic and San Diego St. Moneyline; like I said then, if I think they could cover spreads of, respectively, 1 1/2 and 2, I might as well wager on them to win Straight Up, both of whom did.  But I published this just before the first Elite Eight Matchup of the Round and I had been figuring out for the previous few hours how in the hell do I stop the water leaking in the basement, so I was in a little distress.

---

Things seem to be fine now with the water heater, by the way.  I think.  The old water heater's still there, and I think Father is still trying to drain it.  That huge water leak in a different part of the piping system has been replaced, but I was in Mother's office after dinner last/Friday night and I heard a lot of dripping through the ceiling.  Maybe the whole damn system needs to be replaced, an idea Father had floated once before.  Oh, the guy who helped install the new water heater for us is coming this/Saturday morning.  That is odd because 1) I thought he was coming over yesterday/Friday to haul away the old heater, fix that new leak, and do other stuff Father wanted him to do that I did not overhear, and 2) there's a blizzard going on right now and there could be a foot of snow by daybreak.  I think the worst of it is over, but not all of it is over, and that's what concerns me.

Oh, this is supposed to be a blog post about gambling.  OK, so the usual long wait between Rounds has me spooked.  But from what I can see there appears to be some consensus on both National Semifinals, and I am going to side with that majority in order to leap out of this hole:

1) San Diego St. -2 1/2 (If this is a low-scoring Game, the Aztecs win because it shows that they were able to impose their defensive will.  If it's not, it appears as if Florida Atlantic would win because that means they were able to cut and kick out for open Threes.  I am going with the Defense, the higher Seed, and the team that had the more efficient game coming into the conference tournaments.  Of course, relying on that data has meant jackshit this tourney) $300

2) Connecticut -5 1/2 (I am planning on order finally taking over this Big Dance, which means the Huskies, by far a dominant team coming into The Big Dance, will walk all over the Hurricanes and the Aztecs/Owls winner on Monday.  The only way I can see UConn losing is them beating themselves, particularly when it comes to going cold from the field.  But they have won each of their four tournament Games by at least 20 Points.  The 'Canes have played better than they have during the regular season, but I don't know if they can stop this unstoppable force) $300

3) And to put me (hypothetically) over the top, parlay both, but just for $50.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment