Tuesday, April 11, 2023

2023 March Madness Anti-Picks, Final

Record, Round 6: 1-0
Final Record: 19-22
Outlay, Round 6: $800.00
Winnings, Round 6: $1,527.27
Gain, Round 6: $727.27
Overall Gain: $32.63

Yeah, my goodness, I don't remember the last time I saw a team just destroy the bracket like UConn did this Year.  I'm pretty sure it's happened recently, but I don't remember it, and it certainly didn't resemble running the table with six double-digit victories like the Huskies just pulled off.  There were more than several people who thought Connecticut could win it all; I think one notable expert (Jay Bilas?) picked them to go all the way.  But they were outpolled by Alabama and Houston.  Despite the extreme topsy-turvy-ness of this NCAA men's basketball tournament, in the end -- the way, way end -- a school that looked good going into the tournament and had all the requisites advanced metrics really was the last team standing.  (And, oh yes, UConn is now a blueblood; if they weren't already, having more titles than Kansas makes you a blueblood.)

So glad I went with the Huskies even at a fairly wide -7 1/2.  San Diego St. cut it to within five with about five Minutes to go (I think), but Jordan Hawkins drilled a Three on the next possession, and they were able to breathe out the lead and finally win by 17.  That more than covered the spread, and I was able, in one killshot, to finally get completely out of the hole and into the (meager) black.  I can't ever see myself wagering $800 on a single Game (unless I'm betting against a Twin Cities sports team), but I'm glad I hypothetically came all the way back.  I even have (fake) gas money!

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment