Saturday, April 21, 2018

So Am I In Or Am I Out?

So I moved cubes yesterday/Friday.  Turns out it isn't as big as I thought.  I measured using my wingspan; my new spot is a few inches wider.  However, the desk goes all around my new spot while, even though it wasn't useful, the desk at my old place did not.  That my new cubicle was bigger is only an illusion because the walls don't go as high and they do not fence off more of my space.  That means people peer over my shoulder to see me on the Internet, dammit -- caught again!

While I was moving I was thinking about my future there.  While this new job hasn't materialized on the Internet yet, I'm not sure how long I'm going to be here.  I worry about money and my next job, sure, but I just booked a flight to Denver next month.  Tickets were $50 and last week's blizzard kind of broke me, so I feel as though I need to get away from here.  But not if the week I plan to leave is the last week of my job; wouldn't make sense to spend money instead of working the last week of my position there.

But I sure as heck can't bring it up, at least right now.  How would you do it?  I relied on signs yesterday, and they conflicted as all get out.  First of all, for example, wouldn't me moving be a sign I'll be here a while?  If I weren't, why would they bother to move me?  But then I ask my boss for a a vertically-moving monitor set so I can stand at work once in a while, and she said she probably couldn't get one for me because she thinks one will need to be ordered, "And I don't know how long you're going to be here."  Well, shoot, how long am I going to be here?

And then I check my e-mail and I get these usernames and passwords for new health insurance portals.  That means, in my mind at least, I have new responsibilities at this job.  So that means I'll be here, at least a little while longer -- right?  But I get a mixed message in the afternoon, when I ask my boss if I can switch back to my old chair.  "Yes, you can," she says, "Just bring me the chair that is at your new cubicle -- when we find someone full-time, we'll need to put that chair back into that cubicle."  But wait ... can't that full-timer be ... me?

So at some point I'll have to gin up the courage to ask my boss about when I'm gone, or at least if I am able to take a vacation next month.  It's not the end of the world if I can't go; I haven't made hotel or car arrangements yet.  But before I fell asleep last night I went through the cost of going, and two weeks' worth of pay might make this trip to Denver affordable.  And I'm not sure if I'll be working there another two weeks, if the worst-case scenario happens.  Then where will I be?  And if I'm gone two weeks from now, what was all this moving for?

No comments:

Post a Comment