Sunday, February 8, 2009

First Father Blow-Up Of The Year

He yelled at me not to go to the supermarket, but my grandmother wanted chicken broth and my mom (who thought I was at the store already and told me not to bother going) wanted ice cream and milk. Ignored them, got them, came home, was going to drop it off before heading out to dinner and a concert with a friend.

I was bringing the milk down to the downstairs refrigerator when, as he was looking up the stairwell to me at the top, "I think you should spend your time doing something else besides going to the supermarket all the time."

This seems kind of innoucous, or at the worst something your dad would say to you on occasion. To me it sounded like yet another loaded phrase to hurt me. He was using my unemployment and my hesitation not to work at another dead-end job against me, even though I was just running to the goddamn grocery store. Are you threatening to throw me out of the house if I don't find a job again? Fuck you, Father. I don't go to the supermarket every day. In fact, watch me not go to the supermarket tomorrow -- or do anything tomorrow, for that matter.

All I could muster was, "You think?" and glaring at him as I put the milk in the fridge.

If he throws me out of the house, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment