Monday, August 8, 2011

At my job yesterday, there was catering. I was in charge of cleaning the food up. But there was a lot of it left.

I thought that the best thing to do was to box it up and give it to a shelter. Sharing and Caring Hands, across the way from Target Field, to be specific. Better than for it to go to waste.

So after the game got done, I starting foiling them up and putting them to one side. Then I got called to take someone to the airport. After coming back, I ran into my supervisor just outside the stadium gate. She told me thanks, I was done.

I didn't think about the food I left in the press box, but even if I did when she released me from my duties, it would feel kind of weird to not do the natural thing, which is the thing I did do, which is just go to my car and drive away. If I just went through her and the other people on the crew because, "Heh, there's leftover food upstairs, I don't want to waste it," I wonder if they would think I was a square, or a space cadet. Maybe they'd think I was doing the right thing, but the bottom line is I need employment, and I'm paranoid, and anything out of the ordinary that could make anybody question my aptitude and jeopardize further work with them is something I have to take most seriously of all.

When I realized that I left the food in the press area, I tried to rationalize it by thinking that maybe Sharing and Caring Hands didn't accept just anybody's leftover food from outside. But I just checked their website now: Turns out they do. Fuck.

Maybe some young student from the U. working the game took the food. Hope so. Otherwise I just left perfectly good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment