Friday, August 26, 2011

Another day at the store, a second consecutive day where I had nothing to do except minding the store at the front. However, unlike yesterday, Father wasn't running around doing things. In fact, he was at Mother's old stoop, right next to the register. While I am once again (guiltily) relieved that I didn't have to load and unload boxes to the warehouse -- at this point, if I'm just reading papers two days in a row now, there's nothing left to send to the warehouse, I think -- this is a frightening omen for what's to come once -- gulp -- the store closes for good. Instead of being at work doing nothing he'll be at home doing nothing. He'll wake up in the morning, grab some coffee, check some stocks, and when I wake up at, oh, 11, he'll say, "Why don't you get a job? Why don't you go back to school? You know, maybe I should kick you out of the house!" I saw my future today. And I fear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment