Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I Will Look Back On This, And It Will Be One Of The Most Important, And Worst, Days Of My Life

Tonight, for the second day in a row, my parents were coming home late. Father told me to go ahead and eat without them. Geez, Uncle getting sick meant that they have to take up the slack, which obviously means they have to stay late until he gets back. Or, they see an opportunity if he's out for an intermediate term and they want to enjoy themselves at the store.

God, I was wrong.

They came back at 9. I wanted to rest, but I had to stay up because Father wanted me to cook dinner for them. (My God, when did I start cooking dinner for them?) When I greeted them at the door, Mother gave me this huge folder and asked me to fill it out. Shit I've done before, something like their real estate forms or a tiff they have with a delivery truck.

So I start to look through it. Asian Foods, huh? Guess they're striking up a distribution deal with them. But then I go through the checklist. Applications, Federal Income Tax Forms, Contact Information. These are things ... people looking for a job do.

So I go downstairs, frightened as hell, scared like I've rarely been before. "Mama," I asked while trembling, "What is this?"

She told me, words I never thought I would hear her say: "I work there now."

Just typing that makes me feel cold inside. I ... I still don't know what to say. How is she working for someone else now? Why? Is something wrong at the store?? Are they out of money??? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?!?!

I ... I don't know what to say. I'm still processing this monumental change in her life, in my life, in all our lives. I wish I had more to write, but ... I can't right now. Please let me get back to you.

My God, what the fuck is happening. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment