Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Up-And-Down Day At Work

OK, I invoice at my current job.  And I left work yesterday with a few invoices in this ... uh, software that I couldn't get out for some reason.  That made me dread and thus hate going back there.

It got worse, but not because of those stuck invoices.  Actually, the guy sitting in the cubicle next to mine helped me; he didn't really solve the problem so much as find a way around it.  I actually felt a sense of relief, but it didn't last long.  First I got an e-mail from a woman who pointedly demanded invoices that I didn't have.  I think she wasn't just upset about that, but was also upset that I had not responded to her first e-mail from last week.

That was what I was kind of going through in the morning: Reading all the e-mails and printing out all the tickets to which I would create invoices.  And there were a lot.  I mean, a lot.  But what really fucked me over is the fact that most of these invoices are for the prior week -- August 28 to September 1.  I don't know if this is best practices (to use a white-collar office term that I hate), but I was told I needed to separate August and September charges.  I forgot that wrinkle this afternoon when I started invoicing, so I had to ask the person next to me how to erase the invoices I already made.  He told me to just delete them.  I still am wary about it; I told my co-worker that it's frustrating to feel as though that I can't come back if I make an innocent step.  I get the feeling that I'm creating a snail trail of papers that I'm not accounting, and that will boomerang on me before this is all over, but really, I was so fucking pissed at how little progress I made that at that point that, frankly, I don't care.  I just want to get this done.

Things got better through the late afternoon.  I printed out all the things I needed to print out.  Better yet, I got a handle (even though I'm not completely done) of the companies whose charges straddle the turn of the month.  Best of all, I started invoicing companies for stuff in August, just like yesterday, and I was able to print.  Don't know what the deal was yesterday, but I'll just count my blessings.

So I feel as though I can muddle through the rest of the week.  There are some invoices from companies I haven't even heard of, but I think I'll just ask what I need to do with them.  Hopefully I won't forget any more steps that I have to backtrack from, I'll push out all the invoices I can tomorrow, and even though I'm not supposed to, I'll get the rest done Friday.  Besides, I am only supposed to work 30 hours a week; if I can't get it done, hey, what can I do?

I know this means I'll have a shitty day tomorrow.  I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment